
I stood at an intersection of streets and watched the dust shimmer as it fell from the nearby streetlights. Cars were passing by like a slow motion movie, leaving a bleak trail of light behind them. Tied to the ground or maybe just too scared to move, I contemplated my absence of direction. Sometimes you forget that besides pacing back and forth blindfolded through your boring every day routines, you are also participating in this illogical and somewhat insane thing called life. Too bad it doesn’t come with a map. Once a thought enters your mind, it is not likely to leave until dealt with, no matter how much you are trying to either deny or ignore it. Your immediate instincts are smarter than your logic, unfortunately. I wanted to run. Anywhere, everywhere. I just wanted to move. People are dying on other half of the world, along with many other awful things, and I am just some confused kid living in a perfectly comfortable life and I don’t even have a “fuck the world and all its contents” political statement, let alone a clear goal in life or a way to make a major difference in it. I was running and the world stood still.I had to stop after a while because my legs felt like lead. It’s both scary and amazing to think about a human’s body, how much pain it is able to handle and how quickly and effectively it can heal itself. But it’s frightening to think we are relying on the mere sum of our parts, because every mechanism has its glitches. In the end, we are so fragile. There is something else inside the package of bones and blood vessels. There’s a little voice that told me to run. There’s a little voice that plugs itself into an amplifier and screams in all its strength over the smothering every day noise. That voice wants to see past the yellow grass that just stands in the dirt lifeless and does nothing but stick to people’s shoes.Maybe that voice can do me a lot good once I figure myself out. So what the hell, run, drive, it doesn’t matter, just take the wheel.
Life’s a wonderful thing after all…too bad it doesn’t come with a map.

No comments:
Post a Comment